Attendance: Kelly Shumway-Boudreau, Gigi Johnson, Katie Bryant, Rachel Auger, Nin Onos, Kim Valpey, Rebecca Yerkes, Andrea Damato, Dan Caron, Louise Jagusch, Lisa Singh, Peter Sawyer, Kristen Nazer
Approval of September Minutes
The minutes were approved by Nin Onos, 2nd by Kim Valpey
Treasury and Membership Report
Membership drive is tentatively planned for end of October, beginning of November. Kim Valpey will make apples again, and Gigi will help.
- Rebecca Yerkes from GES requested a new classroom rug, 3 Hokkistools, snug kids earmuffs for a total of $930.79. The request was approved by Nin Onos and 2nd by Gigi Johnson; Passed
- Katie Bryant from GES requested half of the funding for an Artist in Residence, Leslie Smith, for the 2018-2019 school year. The other half of the funds will be raised through a fundraiser. One grade level works with the artist. The total amount requested was $2500. The request was approved by Gigi Johnson and 2nd by Nin Ono; Passed
- Andrea Damato from GMS requested funding for Legosmiths. She was asking for funds to be able to participate in the Lego league competition with students in grades 5-8. The original amount requested was $2095. This was modified because she had someone donate the t-shirts. The new amount requested was $1695. Breakdown of expenses: Team Registration with FIRST LEGO League $225; FIRST LEGO League Challenge Set $75; LEGO Robot and parts $1320; Competition Registration $75. The request was approved by Gigi Johnson and 2nd by Kelly Shumway-Boudreau; Passed
- Dan Caron from GHS requested funds to start up a Tech Student Association (TSA) chapter at GHS. This is a program that involves students more in technology education and engineering. The group is planning to participate in the holiday craft fair at GHS and other fundraising efforts to create a treasury. The cost per student to register is $16. There is a spring conference. The total amount requested was $250 for the TSA membership. Katie Bryant approved the request and 2nd by Gigi Johnson; Passed
- Kristen Nazer requested funds for 12 child sized yoga mats for a total cost of $204. Looking into yoga mats that are in storage and used by Nurse Jen. The request was approved by Nin Onos and 2nd by Kelly Shumway-Boudreau; Passed
- Everything is all set for the fundraiser
- New auction items: Mandy H. from Rowell’s donated $500 gift certificate
- Nin made a PacMan scoreboard to keep track of the funds raised during the night
- Do we want to bring back curriculum nights to improve attendance at meetings? Danielle Bolduc felt like we had better attendance, in the past, for meetings when there was a presentation before the meeting. Parents want to come because they want to walk away with something and by offering a presentation before it may entice people to come. However, we do not want to duplicate what the school board presents. How else can we get more involvement.
- Should we piggy back on STEAM night and have a meeting the same night? Having a meeting the same night may add to the confusion and take away from what the night is about.
- Offer a robotics night? Students from the robotics team could present what they’ve been working on
- Could we video tape the meetings for those people that can’t make meetings and post them on the webiste?
- Create 2-3 minute videos of different activities that PTA has sponsored
- Esther will be doing her presentation at the December meeting
- This will be the last year for reflections because we’ve had such a poor turnout in the last few years. Information about this should be coming out sometime in October
NH PTA Convention
- November 17th-18th at the Red Jacket in in North Conway. No one is planning to go this year
Lunch on Conference Day
- Nov 9th PTA will provide lunch for GES & GMS teachers from Hannafords
- 60 GES staff; 60-70 GMS;
- Sandwich platters Nin will order; Gigi and Kelly will pick up and set up at 10:30
- Louise Jagusch from GHS brought up the foreign language program we were considering offering after school. Louise is the french teacher at GHS and would like to work with us to make it happen and offer both French and Spanish.
- Louise was concerned that we were considering offering Spanish and not French. She would like both languages offered because she’s afraid that when kids come up to the high school they would lean towards Spanish and not French.
- She supports offering the programs as an after school activity and thinks we’ll see a lot of community support.
- Sharyn had found out that we can’t hire someone through the bylaws and NH state PTA so we were no longer exploring the option.
- The PTA’s budget is $5000 for this program. We would charge $30 per student for the entire program.
- People love the idea of getting this program for kids early on so kids can be excited about it and want to continue as they grow, and ideally see this program in the school curriculum and budget