Attendance: Jill Desruisseaux, Kerri Dunleavy, Josh Marsahl, Jessica Scudder, Annie Zukas, Leaman Antone, Kelly Shumway-Boudreau, Nin Onos, Peter Sawyer, Danielle Bolduc, Sharyn Sasserson, Gigi Johnson
Approval of October Minutes:
Danielle Bolduc approves minutes; Sharyn seconds the approval; Minutes are approved
- Peter Sawyer and Danielle Bolduc presented 2 different options for the after-school language program. Both options offer two ten week sessions for a total of 20 weeks and will be offered free to students in grades 1-7. The program would begin starting January 8th and go until June 8th (Session 1 January 8 – March 23; Session 2 March 26 – June 8).
- Option 1: Combine 1st & 2nd Graders – 20 students max for 30 minutes; 3rd & 4th Graders – 30 students for 45 minutes; 5th, 6th & 7th Graders – 30 students for 45 minutes.
- Instructor Salaries: $30/hour for teaching and prep time (1 hour of prep time/class taught). 5 hours/week for teaching and prep time x $30 = $150/week; $150/week x 10 weeks = $1500 for each instructor for each session; $1500 x 2 sessions = $3000 to cover the cost of the two instructors for 20 weeks
- $200 for supplies for each section (3 sections) for a total of $600
- Total cost for Option 1 is $3600 ($3000 in salary + $600 for supplies)
- Option 2: Combine 1st & 2nd Graders – 20 students max for 30 minutes; 3rd & 4th Graders – 30 students for 45 minutes; 5th & 6th Graders – 30 students for 45 minutes; 7th Graders – 15 students for 45 minutes
- Instructor Salaries: $30/hour for teaching and prep time (1 hour of prep time/class taught) 6.75 hours/week for teaching and prep time x $30 = $202.50/week; $202.50/week x10 weeks = $2025 for each instructor for each session; $2025 x 2 sessions = $4050 to cover the cost of the two instructors for 20 weeks
- $200 for supplies for each section (4 sections) for a total of $800
- Total cost for Option 2 is $4850 ($4050 in salary + $800 for supplies)
- Teachers prefer Option 1
- High school students could volunteer for the larger groups and get volunteer hours; Also consider asking for parent volunteers
- Question was asked if there are kids with full-time paras, will the paras go to the language program? If it’s a school sponsored event the school will pay for the para for that student
- This will be first come, first served sign-up – Sign up sheet will be created by the teachers. Should they do it electronically?
- The district needs to hire the teachers
- Danielle B motions we go with Option 1. Kerry D. Seconds it. Passed
- GES – Gift program $250 is already ear marked in the budget. Sharyn motions. Nin seconds. Passed
- GMS – 7th Grade Team (Jessica Scudder) is asking for $3750 for a 7th grade field trip to Heifer International in Rutland, MA. This is half of the total cost. It is a 3 day, 2 night trip where the students will have the opportunity to learn more about what it’s like living in a 3rd world country. The trip will take place in May and 79 students would be going. The deposit is due the first week in December.
- If approved, the 7th grade team would like to offer an information night for parents in December. Total cost would be $150/student and hoping to raise the rest of the funds. Students will be writing letters in English to businesses looking for donations. Total cost of the trip needs to be paid for by April.
- Will the 7th grade students and teachers share their experience with upcoming students? Make the connection with how everything is tied together.
- Gigi motions to accept. Kelly seconds. Passed
- GHS: Leaman Antone: teaches sculpture and is requesting a goPro to make base videos to teach different techniques for the students to go back and review. Wants the perspective of the students “eye”. GoPro Hero 5, $350 – camera, and accessories ($299 for camera, $20 for straps and $30 memory card). Danielle approves. Nin seconds Passed
- Raising membership dues to a higher amount.
- $20 or $25?
- Danielle makes a motion to raise it to $25. Peter seconds. Passed
- Snowmen and Snowflakes with names.
- Snowmen have principal’s faces.
- Which ever school has the most memberships will win breakfast from PTA.
- The drive will run for 3 weeks – November 27 – December 15 3 weeks.
- Sale goes until 11/19
- Whichever school sells the most will get the money raised
December meeting is at 5:30 in the cafeteria and Heifer will present first; Esther will do her presentation following.